Another milestone - Isaac moved up to a real bed. He was super-excited about the bed, especially because it has a trundle-bed underneath for sleep-overs. Even though he had been sleeping with a bedrail, he was so confident that he would not roll out of his new bed that he wouldn't even let me pull out the trundle bed just in case. I gave in until he fell asleep and then gave in to mommy instincts and snuck back in and pulled it out. Good thing I did - guess where I found him when I went in again before I went to sleep?? When he got up the next morning he thought it was hilarious that he rolled out, but was even more convinced that he wouldn't roll off again and refused to let me pull out the trundle bed and made me promise not to pull it out after he fell asleep. I honored my promise (although I did sneak in and put some pillows next to the bed) but it was unnecessary - he hasn't fallen off again!
On the topic of milestones - Isaac has also basically given up his nap. I know we shouldn't complain since he was such a great napper for so long, but we will definitely miss the mid-day break!
Although Colorado has not had too much snow over the last couple of months, we have still managed to take the kids skiing a couple of times. While Isaac was in ski school, Caitlin made her debut at Loveland and loved every second of it. Bill was super-patient and directed her skis between his legs onto and off of the ski lifts and down the bunny slopes and even some green runs. Whereas Isaac was ready to ski on his own after the first day, Caitlin enjoyed the harness more, happily allowing Bill to do the hard work, basically carrying her like a rag doll. Not sure if that is a personality difference (likely) or just a function of starting her on skis 6 months earlier than we started Isaac. Either way, the idea of skiing together as a family in the near future is something fun to look foward to!
He still has some work to do perfecting his ski skills in ski school, but after watching his cousin Jaden play hockey, Isaac decided he also wanted to begin taking hockey lessons. We went for his first lesson and he went from being excited to terrified in the time it took me to lace up his skates. He was hysterical crying when I pushed him out on the ice (literally) and the teachers were SO unbelievably nice and patient and by the time the hour was up, he was skating on his own and pushing the puck around with a stick! And of course, now he loves it and can't wait to go back. Amazing...
Finally, another important milestone - we have a new aupair! Things weren't going exactly as we were hoping with Luz so we decided to make a change. Fortuitously, things also weren't going exactly as Mayensi was hoping in Virginia with her first family and she was looking for a change as well. Timing worked out perfectly and Mayensi (who is from El Salvador just like Cesi) flew in on January 2nd and instantly fit in perfectly with our family. The kids love her and we are all a lot happier and looking forward to a great year!









No comments:
Post a Comment