Tracker

Tracker

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Caitlin: no more pacifier, back to school night, and first crush (?!)

Although I said we were going to do this when she turned 3 (and possibly 2), I kept finding reasons to let Caitlin keep her pacifiers.  She only used them to go to sleep, and was so sweet in her need to have one for each hand and one in her mouth, but ... it was time.  So Alli brought Sebastian by the house and we told Caitlin that he needed more pacifiers and that big 3 year old girls shouldn't need them anymore.  She gathered them up and handed them over.  Just like that - no drama, no sadness.  At bedtime, she looked around and asked me for them, and I reminded her that Seb had them and she said okay (it didn't hurt that we promised her a big girl gift if she slept without them!).  A few minutes later she called me to her room - she had a handful of pacifiers (apparently her hidden stash!) that she wanted to give me -- such honesty! I took them and left and she talked and sang for about 45 minutes, and then went to sleep.  No issues.  Every  night since then, she has talked and sang for awhile (I guess a byproduct of not having a pacy in her mouth!), but we've had no sleep problems or drama, which is fantastic! I should have done this sooner... :)
Here you go Sebastian (sniff sniff)
Cate sleeping soundly...after chattering for 45 minutes
A couple of weeks ago, Caitlin's school had a "Bring Your Parents to School" night, which was adorable.  I got to meet Caitlin's teachers, watch her interact with her friends, and she was thrilled at the opportunity to teach me all the lessons she has been learning: "Mommy, you have to push your chair in when you get up from the table!" and "Mommy, if you want to do a craft project, you need to get a craft mat so you don't accidentally get marker on the table!" Jeez...if only she brought these lessons home! She apparently loves the activities relating to art and "home living" the most, and showed me her cutting, her water pouring, and her tea party (as explained to me, this is stuff that works on dexterity).  In any event, I heard nothing but good things about Caitlin's focus and curiosity and good manners, and loved spending the 1:1 time with her in her new world.
Caitlin's class was full of parents
Finally, I was introduced to "Liam" (always said with a huge grin), one of Caitlin's classmates who she apparently digs.  Mayensi and Caitlin ran into him at library story time last week, and Mayensi couldn't resist sending this video of Caitlin FLIRTING (and doing the robot) which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Her daddy was not as amused :)

No comments: