Tracker

Tracker

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Isaac's Visit to Children's

During our Spring Break long weekend in Winter Park, Isaac developed a cough that turned ugly by Monday morning.  I left for work and he was coughing, but not too badly.  When I came home from work, he was wheezing and in rough shape.  As luck would have it, Bill was out of town on business, so I was really hoping we could make it until the morning when the doctor's office opened. I gave him a few breathing treatments which provided some relief, but he was still struggling.  I pulled out his trundle bed so I could listen to him breathe, but by 3am (and two sheet changes later) I decided we needed to go to the ER.  I woke up Mayensi, who was super-sweet and willing to keep an eye out for Caitlin, and we headed to Children's.  I can honestly say that while I hope to never have to take either kid to the hospital again, the fact that there's a Children's hospital nearby makes the prospect tolerable.  They were amazing and nice - and took us right back and began working on him immediately.  After several hours of unsuccessful nebulizer treatments they admitted us and did a chest X-ray and realized he had pneumonia.  It wasn't until about 4pm that they finally turned him around, but by then they had given him his own Wii console and DVD player, so he was a happier kid.
not having slept at all during the night, Isaac was exhausted when we got to the hospital
poor buddy was a lethargic mess until the breathing treatments kicked in
it took them 5 tries to get isaac to stay still in the right position to capture  the chest X-ray
once the meds kicked in he was finally hungry - only a kid with pneumonia gets to eat pizza for breakfast!
once he got his own room he got a box legos and a wii console  - moderately successful in the struggle to keep a kid hyper from albuterol connected to the monitors
Aunt Ray-Ray surprised Isaac with a visit bearing sweets 
Bill was able to end his trip early and got to the hospital in time to allow me to go home and give Caitlin a kiss goodnight and shower (24 hours in the sweats I was in when we headed to the hospital!).  We then got to spend a (very uncomfortable) night "sleeping" at Children's while Isaac's breathing treatments and antibiotics continued all night.  Finally, by the following morning Isaac's oxygen levels were holding steady and we were cleared to leave.  It was an eventful 32 hours, and one I'm hoping not to repeat anytime soon, but thankfully Isaac is okay.  Needless to say, he has yet to grow out of his asthma.  Hopefully soon!
Cate was very happy to come home from school and find her brother back home!

No comments: